Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Hitachi Rail analyses the possible impacts of its strategic decisions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions over a short, medium and long term, in order to identify business development opportunities, improve efficiency and reduce risks.
This strategy focuses mainly on three spheres of influence:
▪ Scope 1 emissions: in-house activities and direct emissions from Hitachi Rail’s own sites;
▪ Scope 2 emissions: electrical energy suppliers and their operating emissions related to Hitachi Rail’s activities;
▪ Scope 3 emissions: Hitachi Rail’s supply chain and the emissions resulting from the production and delivery of goods and services.
In order to establish an improvement strategy, the company reports direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions, as envisaged by the GHG Protocol, committing to reduce them through:
▪ Programmes for reducing consumption and improving energy efficiency;
▪ Use of renewable energy sources;
▪ Policies on the mobility of people and goods;
▪ Waste management.
GHG EMISSIONS SCOPE 1
Direct emissions due to:
▪ energy production ▪ transport – company lorries and forklifts
GHG EMISSIONS SCOPE 2
Indirect emissions due to:
▪ electricity consumption (location based) ▪ district heating